With age comes wisdom, experience, and oftentimes, hair loss. Fortunately, there are a number of treatment options that can not only help prevent hair loss but can help it to grow back. One of the most effective and commonly used options is hair transplant surgery. However, surgery is not for everyone – It can be an expensive and sometimes painful process that many people prefer not to deal with. Fortunately, some hair loss treatment options out there that are non-invasive and highly effective. If you have hair loss and are looking for non-invasive treatments, here are some ideas.
Medications are the most affordable and readily available treatment option for hair loss. The following two medications are both FDA-approved and have been proven to be effective treatments in the fight against hair loss.
- Minoxidil – This topical medication more commonly known as Rogaine, is available over the counter for and is effective in stopping further hair loss and has even shown some hair regrowth in men and women.
- Finasteride is hair regrown medication that can be obtained with a prescription under the names Proscar, Propecia, and Propecia Pro-Pak. Finasteride decreases conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, which in turns prevents hair from falling out (since dihydrotestosterone is a key to balding).
Laser therapy has become a more common hair loss treatment option over the years because of the ease and affordability it offers. There are a variety of companies that make laser therapy products for people to use. Here are the most common ones.
- Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) – This therapy is performed in a clinic and involves emitting a light to the scalp to encourage hair regrowth and stop hair from falling out. LLLT is FDA-approved and is used to stimulate epidermal stem cells in the hair follicle bulge to generate new growth.
- Combs and Helmets – There are a variety of combs and helmets available on the market that offer laser therapy, as well. Unlike LLLT, these products can be used safely at home through regular, proper use.
Micro-needling is a cosmetic procedure that involves using a derma roller over the desired area. The derma roller is equipped with fine needles that gently pierce the upper layer of the skin. The holes are barely visible but are significant enough to “trick” the body into believing there has been an injury, which the body then tries to heal by producing collagen which causes hair to grow. Because the “injury” is controlled, risks are minimal, however, while derma rollers are available online or in a beauty shop, take caution to perform this without some sort of training or supervision. You should make sure that the equipment is sanitary and any open sores should be attended to before infection sets in.
- Many shampoos contain special ingredients – from caffeine to Argon oil – that their manufacturers claim reduces hair loss or stimulates hair growth. It is best to consult with your doctor to ensure that these ingredients are not having the opposite effect.
Stem Cell Therapies
Stem cells that are present throughout the body of adults, called adult mesenchymal stem cells (MSC), can activate regenerating properties of cells virtually anywhere in the body. MSCs extracted from abdominal fat that is injected into areas of thinning hair can make the cells within the hair follicles revert to their earlier properties, and can actually get your hair to grow back!
At the National Stem Cell Centers, our doctors use advanced technologies to treat a variety of conditions – including hair loss – using the best and latest technologies available including regenerative medicine. The experience and reputation at the National Stem Cell Centers are unmatched. Request an appointment at one of our centers today to find the right regenerative medicine treatment for you.